Eye on Michigan
Follow us on Twitter for UpdatesFollow us on Twitter for Updates
  Trails & Bike Routes   Parks & Beaches   City Guides   Free Wallpaper     Home
Historic Locations & Attractions in Iron Mountain, Michigan


Historic Locations & Attractions in Iron Mountain »





Iron Mountain's history owes much to the mining industry and iron ore. In 1879, the Chapin Mine began operation in Iron Mountain. The mine was named for Henry Chapin of Niles, Michigan, who owned the land where the mine was located. The Menominee Mining Company leased the land, with Mr. Chapin receiving a royalty of 50 cents per ton on all the ore shipped. The mine is considered the greatest iron mine on the Upper Peninsula, producing nearly 26 million tons of iron ore. The Chapin Mine operated until 1932 when the Great Depression closed the mine.

Iron Mountain Iron Mine

The Iron Mountain Iron Mine in Vulcan operated from 1870 until 1945, producing over 22 million tons of iron ore. The mine is located 8 miles east of Iron Mountain off US-2 in Vulcan, and tours are available daily from June 1st to October 15th. You'll take a train 400 feet under ground and tour the mine, learning about the mine, mining technology, and more. It's an interesting and educational experience.

Iron Mountain Iron Mine

Area Museums

The Cornish Pump & Mining Museum is located on the north side of Iron Mountain at 300 Kent Street. The museum has largest steam-driven pumping engine built in the United States, known as the Cornish Pump. The museum also has a variety of mining equipment, as well as a World War II Glider exhibit.

Menominee Range Historical Museum features many exhibits related to life in the 1800s, including a classroom and general store. The museum is located at 300 E Ludington Street, close to downtown.

Historical Markers

The Menominee Range Historical Museum is located in the former Carnegie Library building at 300 Ludington Street in Iron Mountain. In 1901, Andrew Carnegie donated $15,000 for the building, which served as the library in Iron Mountain for over 70 years. A historical marker is located near the entrance.

Dickinson County County Courthouse was built in 1896. The Richardsonian Romanesque-style structure was designed by architect James Clancy, a former resident of Iron Mountain. The building included the county sheriff's offices and jail cells. The courthouse's clocktower was made by the Seth Thomas Clock Company in 1935. A historical marker stands near the front of the courthouse, not far from Stephenson Avenue. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Dickinson County County Courthouse

The Joseph Addison Crowell House was built in 1887 for Dr. Joseph Crowell, the first general surgeon in Iron Mountain. Crowell and Dr. J.D. Cameron established St. George Hospital in 1889. The house at 403 East Ludington Street was listed in the Michigan State Register of Historic sites in 1979.

The Cornish Pump, the nation's largest steam-driven pumping engine, was built by the E.P. Allis Company of Milwaukee in 1890-91. The pump was used at the Chapin Iron Mine and lifted 200 tons of water per minute. The pump now resides at the Cornish Pump & Mining Museum, located at 300 Kent Street in Iron Mountain. A historical marker is located on the property, and the pump is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

In 1908, the Ardis Furnace was built by inventor John T. Jones of Iron Mountain as away to produce low-grade iron ore. The experimental furnace was named for Jones' daughter Ardis. A historical marker describing the Ardis Furnace is located at the northeast corner of Aragon Street and Antoine Street in Iron Mountain.

Maria Santissima Immacolata Di Lourdes (Immaculate Conception Catholic Church) was dedicated on January 1, 1903. The beautiful church was designed to look like Renaissance parish churches in Italy. A historical marker is located near the front of the church, and it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. See the church's web site for a mass schedule.

Maria Santissima Immacolata Di Lourdes

Other Historic Locations in Iron Mountain

The Braumart Theatre opened in April 1925. The Braumart was billed as the "finest amusement house north of Milwaukee" at its opening. It had seating for almost 1,000 people, a special screen with a white rubber surface for film projections, and a Wurlitzer-Hope-Jones organ from the Rudolph Wurlitzer Company of Chicago. The Braumart Theatre is on B Street, and the Friends of the Braumart Theatre are raising funds to restore the theater.

The Joseph Addison Crowell House was built in 1887 for Dr. Joseph Crowell, the first general surgeon in Iron Mountain. Crowell and Dr. J.D. Cameron established St. George Hospital in 1889. The house at 403 East Ludington Street was listed in the Michigan State Register of Historic sites in 1979.







Trails & Bike Routes | Parks & Beaches | City Guides | Free Wallpaper | Eye on Michigan Home


Copyright © 2018 Eye on Michigan

Comments or questions, please email