Lexington is a charming community on the eastern shore of Lake Huron. The village has many historic locations and a nice waterfront area that includes Lexington State Harbor.
The Lexington - Croswell Trail
is a popular route during the summer. The paved trail is on the north side of Huron Avenue/M-90. It's approximately 5 miles long and can be used for biking, jogging, and walking. The trail starts at Union Street in Lexington and goes west to downtown Croswell. You can ride on the outside edge of Huron Avenue/M-90 to reach downtown from the trail.
Tierney Park Boardwalk
winds through the waterfront park and along the harbor's pier. The pier offers beautiful views of Lake Huron and the marina.
Lester Street Park Trail
is a short gravel trail that circles the baseball diamond and leads past the skate park on the east side of the park.
M-25 Bike Route
Starting at Huron Avenue/M-90, there are bike lanes along both sides of M-25 through Lexington. The bike lane become the paved road shoulder along M-25 outside of Lexington.
Cyclists can enjoy a lengthy ride in Michigan's Thumb Region by using the wide, paved shoulders along M-25. The bike route goes from Lexington to Port Sanilac
, Forestville, Port Hope, Port Austin
, Harbor Beach
, Unionville, and Caseville, then ending in Sebewaing
. Through a few of the communities, you will need to ride on the outer edges of the road where there no shoulder is present. The entire route is approximately 112 miles, one way. Sleeper State Park, Port Crescent Park, and several county parks are located along the bike route.
Views of Lake Huron and Saginaw Bay can be seen in a several spots along the way, with the longest periods of waterfront views between Caseville and Port Crescent State Park. Farmland, wooded areas, and residential areas are located along the way.
Depending on the time of day and year, M-25 can be busy, but it generally has moderate traffic. You'll experience greater traffic when riding through the villages and communities than you will along the stretches between towns. Use caution and stay alert when riding on the shoulder of M-25.
Before you go, it's a good idea to check the
State of Michigan's construction database
to make sure there will not be any construction on the road that can interfere with your ride.
Lexington Area Parks
is a scenic recreation area on Lake Huron. The two-tiered park has a bluff and a lower level, with stairs connecting the areas. A sandy swimming beach on Lake Huron is located next to the state harbor. A playscape and and picnic area are nearby. The park has a bandshell, beach volleyball courts, and several picnic tables. There is a tennis court on the southern bluff at the park.
Lester Street Park
has tennis courts, a baseball diamond, basketball court, skate park, and playground. A short walking path winds between the basketball court and skate park and then circles around the baseball diamond.
Sanilac County Lexington Park
is located three miles north of Lexington. The park has a beach on Lake Huron. Many large trees provide shade for picnic tables around the park. A large picnic shelter on the north side of the park is used for gatherings. Tennis courts, horseshoe pits, a basketball hoop, and playground equipment are also available.
Lexington State Harbor
One of the nicest marinas in the Thumb Region of Michigan is located at Lexington. Lexington State Harbor has 108 transient boat slips and offers electrical service (30 and 50 amp), pump-out service, gasoline, diesel, water, ice, showers, and restrooms. A boat launch is located at the end of Boyton Street, with a large parking area for vehicles with trailers. The harbor is open May 1 to October 1, with the harbormaster on duty from May 15 to September 1. For more details, call (810)359-5600.
The Lexington area was first settled in 1835, and many buildings and houses remain
from the community's early days:
- Moore Public Library: John Divine, the first attorney in Sanilac County, established his law office on Huron Avenue in 1859. The historic structure became the Charles H. Moore Library in January 1903. Mrs. Mary Moore Sleeper, wife of Michigan Governor Albert E. Sleeper, along with her sisters Ella and Emma, deeded the property to Lexington for the purposes of creating a library. The library started with a collection of 1300 books, donated by J. L. Wood, an uncle of the Moore sisters. For over 100 years, Moore Public Library has been a valuable resource for residents and visitors.
- Trinity Episcopal Church: The church on Main Street/M-25 was built in 1874. Reverend A.B. Flower came to Lexington in 1869 to do missionary work and started the congregation, which was known as the Church of the Good Shepherd until 1972. The official name of the church is Lexington Chapel of Trinity Episcopal Parish of Croswell, but it's usually referred to as Trinity Episcopal Church. A Michigan historical marker is located near the church. For the schedule of church services, visit the Trinity Episcopal Church web site.
- Catholic Church of St. Denis, Martyr: In 1870, the Church of the Immaculate Conception was established on the east side of Main Street, between Lake and Hubbard. In 1882, a new church was built at 5366 Main Street and dedicated as St. Denis. The beautiful church has been expanded a few times during its history, with the most recent addition of a west wing in 1964. To attend mass, see the current schedule.
- Old Town Hall and Masonic Temple: Built in 1876, the three-story building on Main Street/M-25 served as the municipal offices and local Masonic lodge. The village government operated on the first two floors until 1982. The building is now home to Old Town Hall Winery. A Michigan historical marker is located at the site.
- Cadillac House: The Cadillac House has operated in Lexington since 1860, first as a hotel for weary travelers and later as a restaurant.
- Historic Houses: The Anson Simons Neighborhood Historic District in Lexington includes several historic houses and starts at the corner of Dallas Street and Simons Street. The Moore-Sleeper House, which is now Captain's Quarters Inn, dates back to the 1860s and is listed in the national register of Historic Places. The Carroll House (1870), Inn the Garden (1874), Butler Bed & Breakfast (1879), and A Night to Remember (1870s) are former residences near downtown that now offer quaint lodging for visitors. The Powell House, another bed and breakfast that is located north of town at 5076 South Lakeshore Road, was built in 1852. The Carroll House is pictured below.
- Downtown Shops: On Huron Avenue, several shops are located in buildings that date to the mid-1800s. The building that houses Angel's Garden was built in the 1840s.
More About Lexington
Downtown Lexington has several unique stores and antique shops, such as Angel's Garden and Lexington General Store, on Huron Avenue. Family Dollar and Jeff's Marketplace are on Main Street/M-25.
There are dining options along Main Street/M-25 and Huron Avenue in Lexington. A&W and Dairy Queen are on the north side of Lexington on Main Street/M-25. The Cadillac House is at the center of town, and its menu includes seafood, steaks, pizza, and more. Smackwater Grille and others are located along Huron Avenue in downtown.
Lexington is a great place for weekend and romantic getaways. There are several bed and breakfasts to choose from in town: The Carroll House
Captain's Quarters Inn
The Powell House
Inn the Garden
Butler Photography and Bed & Breakfast
A Night to Remember