The Copper Boom ended as demand for the metal diminished during the Great Depression, but many of the
locations, buildings and neighborhoods in Calumet and Laurium from the boom days have been
preserved and made into historical areas.
- The Keweenaw National Historical Park
in modern day Calumet features buildings that were part of the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company's operations.
The park is a unit of the U.S. National Park Service, and its headquarters are located in the beautiful Calumet & Hecla general office
building on Calumet Avenue/US-41, which had hosted the the day-to-day operations for the company's mines.
Across Red Jacket Road, the Keweenaw History Center features collections that educate visitors on mining in the area.
The Calumet Public Library is located nearby on Mine Street and dates back to 1898, when it was the
Public Library of the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company.
The Quincy Mine is part of the Keweenaw National Historical Park and offers guided tours. The mine is located about 11 miles south of Calumet.
The historic Red Jacket Fire Station on Sixth Street is part of the Keweenaw National Historical Park
and hosts the Upper Peninsula Firefighter's Memorial Museum. The museum is open daily from noon to 3 p.m.
from June through September.
Park rangers provide
of the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company complex and Calumet's historic business district. Tours are offered on
select days between June 26 and September 4. The walking tours are 1.5 hours long and cover 1.5 miles.
The Quincy Mine and much of the area surrounding area in Hancock are part of the Keweenaw National Historical Park.
A tour of the Quincy Mine is an excellent (and safe) way to experience what mining was like.
You can use the maps of Calumet and Laurium to do your own
self-guided walk of the two towns, seeing historic spots and significant locations in both villages.
- Calumet Theatre is a National Historic Landmark and has served as an entertainment spot in downtown Calumet
since March 20, 1900. The Theatre has hosted many well-known entertainers, including John Phillip Sousa,
Madame Helena Modjeska, Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. and Lon Chaney, Sr. Its annual summer schedule
features concerts, musicals and other entertainment. To view an upcoming schedule, visit the
Calumet Theatre's web site.
- Keweenaw Heritage Center at St. Anne's is part of the Calumet Downtown National Historic Landmark District.
The former church is now a museum and historical center. The inside of the church was designed in the French Gothic
style and is still very beautiful inside. St. Anne's Church was constructed in 1900 by the French Canadian Catholic Church and deconsecrated by the
Catholic Church in 1966.
- Coppertown USA is located on Red Jacket Road and is open from June to mid-October and features exhibits and artifacts that
demonstrate copper mining methods and illustrate the history of mining on the Keweenaw Peninsula.
- When you walk around Calumet, you'll find several Michigan Historical Markers in locations that
are considered significant by the Michigan Historical Commission. St. Paul the Apostle Church, Calumet Theatre, and
the Italian Hall site feature the large green and silver plaques with descriptive narratives about the locations.
Other historical markers in Calumet signify the location of the oldest concrete pavement in Michigan and
describe the importance of Float Copper (near the Keweenaw History Center).
- St. Paul the Apostle Church was built of Jacobsville sandstone and completed in 1908 at a cost $100,000.
The church's Kilgen pipe organ was built in 1905 and refurbished in 2001. St. Paul the Apostle Church is located at
301 Eighth Street in Calumet.
- The success and wealth of copper barons in the area can still be seen today. In Laurium,
Victorian Hall Bed and Breakfast was once the home of Norman Macdonald, a partner in the Calumet and Arizona Mining Company.
The 34-room, three-story mansion was built in 1906 and features six ornate fireplaces.
The Laurium Manor Inn was once the elegant mansion of Thomas H. Hoatson Jr., vice president of the
Calumet and Arizona Copper Mine. The 45-room mansion was completed in 1908 at a cost of $50,000, at
a time when miners made 25 cents an hour. The Laurium Manor Inn offers tours of the mansion every day
between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. for a small fee.
- On January 31, 2005, the Village of Laurium was designated as a National Historic District by the National Park Service
Office of the National Register in Washington D.C. Many of the buildings in Laurium date
back to the early 1900s, including the First National Bank of Laurium building (1907),
State Savings Bank of Laurium building (1905) and the Village Hall/Police building (remodeled in 1914) on Hecla Street.
- George Gipp, football All-American at Notre Dame, was born in Laurium on
February 18, 1895. "The Gipper" is remembered in Laurium at George Gipp Memorial Park,
which features plaques and a memorial dedicated to his playing career.
- Faith Lutheran Church in Laurium features an historical marker that describes
the formation of the Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church in America-Suomi Synod, which was
established in Calumet on March 25, 1890.
- St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod, in Laurium dates back to 1899.
The building includes many large stained glass windows. The church's beautiful pipe organ that was built in 1902 and renovated in 1963 by Verlinden Co., Milwaukee. St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church is located at 146 Tamarack Street in Laurium.
- Laurium Apostolic Lutheran Church at 246 Tamarack Street was established on 1929.